-->

Who"s davidlian?

My photo
davidlian is an ultra-geeky chinese dude that works for a technology PR agency. He loves fiddling with techno-toys, plays Warhammer 40K, and shoots pictures wherever he goes. Here, he rants about PR, Technology and anything else. Don't expect balance and un-biased, he ain't no journalist. Anything said on this blog are solely davidlian's personal views. Don't confuse them with company mantra, client's views or views of any organisation he may be part of.

Categories

Monday, November 26, 2007

So when can we finally march?

All this coverage of illegal marches and gatherings have made me remnisce on my good ol' days back in Perth where I was right in the centre of one such march.

It wasn't violent. It wasn't illegal. It wasn't pro-the-current-government. In fact, it was a protest against the government. But, it was ALLOWED.

See, I'm not a big supporter of either side when it comes to the two recent marches. I certainly won't vote for KEADILAN and PAS because my political views don't go with them. I'm sympathetic towards DAP. I think MCA is misunderstood.

But the question I'd really like to ask the authorities is "Why weren't these organisations, who applied for the right to march, given the right to march?"

From a public relations perspective, I think the whole sequence of events was so meta-PR. First, you deny the opposition / NGO the right to march. Then, knowing that they will defy the orders, you prepare a press blitz to call the march illegal. On Monday, capitalise on that blitz and you'll have turned around the media-play into a huge advantage for yourself.

I figured that the BERSIH or Hindraf people should have maybe left the bait and called off the march(es). And then, in an open letter, challenge the decision to not allow the march. By doing what was essentially illegal (although the denial of the right to march could be challenged) you're playing right into the other party's court.

Anyway, I'm not here to provide an analysis of the turn of events that have recently happened. I'm here to remnisce about the march I was a part of... :) Check out these pics. LOL!

DSCN0119
People of all walks of life came to protest.

DSCN0122
More protesters.

DSCN0149
This old uncle got creative and brought his little scooter along.

DSCN0148
Stilts were part of the day's stunts.

DSCN0136
It was so peaceful, the protesters even marched past people getting married.

DSCN0139
There were many, many anti-prime minister messages.

DSCN0152
The cops followed behind to just make sure nothing got out of hand.

DSCN0154
Left one blur guy right behind. :) Yup, I was right there.

No comments: