-->

Who"s davidlian?

My photo
davidlian is an ultra-geeky chinese dude that works for a technology PR agency. He loves fiddling with techno-toys, plays Warhammer 40K, and shoots pictures wherever he goes. Here, he rants about PR, Technology and anything else. Don't expect balance and un-biased, he ain't no journalist. Anything said on this blog are solely davidlian's personal views. Don't confuse them with company mantra, client's views or views of any organisation he may be part of.

Categories

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Bottle Neck

There was a famous old saying in the tech industry: "Design the software, the hardware will catch up." Hardware used to be the bottle-neck for computing. Processor speeds weren't fast enough, RAM wasn't enough, powerful computing was the size of a classroom.


Today, IMHO, there's a new bottle-neck: internet speeds. Think of the wonders we could achieve. We dream of so many applications - live-streaming video, hi-definition movies, instant download services etc. etc.

Dreams. But the reality is we're stuck waiting 45 minutes to download a 60 MB patch. I'm just waiting for another solution to come along so I can ditch Streamyx already. (And I heard, an alternative might soon be on the way.) :/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David. You probably know me. We were at the same church for some time. Just to comment on our internet speed. I think we got ripped off by our one and only broadband service provider now here in Cheras. I think Maxis is also the same. When I was Melbourne, it was totally different. I also am not fully satisfied with our supposedly 1 MB bit speed. I tested it out using a website (I forgot which one already) and it's always below 600 KB. I guess as Malaysians we don't always get what we paid for or what we are promised. Good day.

davidlian said...

Hi Yin Phin, of course I know you! Drop me an email and tell me what you're up to. On internet speeds, yes, I want something faster. But how and when?

Yin-Phin Lim (颖斌林) said...

Hi. As fas as I can see, you didn't really put your e-mail address on this blog. Or maybe I couldn't find it.

I don't know when or how, but I gave up World of Warcraft because of regular drop of internet speed.

So you play Warhammer 40000 huh. It's an old game. Fast paced, action oriented. But I'm slow.