-->

Who"s davidlian?

My photo
davidlian is an ultra-geeky chinese dude that works for a technology PR agency. He loves fiddling with techno-toys, plays Warhammer 40K, and shoots pictures wherever he goes. Here, he rants about PR, Technology and anything else. Don't expect balance and un-biased, he ain't no journalist. Anything said on this blog are solely davidlian's personal views. Don't confuse them with company mantra, client's views or views of any organisation he may be part of.

Categories

Friday, December 12, 2008

Want to buy my 'used' MP3s?

You don't know it yet, but here's a possible game-changing story you should read.


Years ago, I remember following a friend into a local used CD store. I remember looking carefully to see if the CDs had any fine scratches or little chips. I made sure I would only choose those CDs that had album covers and inserts intact and in good condition.

Now I'm wondering how closely people will look at my used MP3s when I decide to sell them. Or can I even (legally)? I mean, if you can sell a book or a CD second-hand, you can sell an MP3 right?

More than turning a profit, I think this is really what Bopaboo is trying to explore. "Let's push the law and see how far we'll go" seems to be the mentality.

And I'm all for it. I mean, eventually "digital property" will need to be defined, and right of first-sale is one of those issues that's getting fuzzier with every MP3 track released. So while I'm probably not going to count thru my MP3 collection and put them up for sale at Bopaboo, I'll be watching closely for the (non) action in court to see how this case pans out.

No comments: